What causes stiffness and pain in neck?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 28 Nov 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I have neck pain as I rotated my head to left. I can fully rotate my head but feel very mild pain at the end, when my chin reaches my left shoulder. I think my left trapezius muscle is aching, starting from my back of skull (upper) to the middle portion of the muscle. When I rotate my had to other side (right), again left upper trapezius a small pain also exists. When I curl my head backwards (looking towards ceiling), a small region (spot-like) at right upper trapezius is also aching(mild pain).

This situation is chronic for 2-3 years. I think it started during a period while I am at home, watching long hours of TV series from laptop, lying in bed on my back, my head curled, my neck was stretched (my chin was just about to touch my chest). I am working about 9 years on a desk job. Another relevant thing is yoga. I have been practicing yoga for several years intermittently.

I can live like this, but I want to know, if there is something I should do? Will it progress? Can I cure it? What are do's and dont's?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exercises will help.

Detailed Answer:
The stiffness and slight pain at the end of neck movement is likely to be due to a decreased flexibility of your cervical spine due to age related degenerative changes of the spine or due to slight neck muscle spasm. With advancing age this restriction in movement might progress to cervical spondylosis.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
You can avoid using a pillow and improvise your posture while working. Taking frequent stretch breaks at work will also help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal