What causes a dull pain at the base of the head extending into the right side jaw?
need more information and possible differential diagnosis
Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, thanks for asking from HCM.
I can understand your concern. Your headache is occurring in the occiput region which is going towards neck, right shoulder and right side of jaw. Such kind of pain an be due to various causes like
- Neck muscle spasm specially Trapezius and sternocleidomastoid muscles.
- Cervical spondylosis with disc compressing right side nerve roots (most probably C2-5)
- Cervical spine mass lesion compressing right side nerve roots
- Migraine - It is less likely, but one sided headache. It must be kept as one possibility. It usually occurs with pain in eyes, photophobia, vomiting and aura like symptoms.
Now to conclude some diagnosis, I need more information about your symptoms
- Is there any history of neck muscle injury/pull/vigorous exercise/using large pillow/sleeping in prone position?
- Is there any history of such pain in past?
- Is there any complaint of tingling sensations in right upper limb, current like pain sensations radiating from neck till shoulder?
- is there any history of focal weakness?
- is there any complaint of eye pain, vomiting, Migraine like pain in past?
If you can provide me some details, it will be very helpful for me. If you have any doubt, do let me know. I will be happy to help you.
Thanks. Take care.
Probable cause and how to manage it
Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, welcome back.
Thank you for providing me detailed history. As there is no stomach/eye pain/current like pain/tingling sensations, it is most probably
" Neck muscle spasm".
The probable muscle involved are trapezius and sternocleidomastoid. To get relief, you should follow few steps
- Try sleeping in supine position. Avoid pillow in supine position.
- Totally avoid prone position
- Apply diclofenac gel and hot fomentation over pain site. Apply it two times per day.
- You can also take table diclofenac with chlorzoxazone for pain relief after prescription.
- Consult physiotherapist for neck exercise and stretching.
- If still no relief, then consult doctor for examination. he/she might advise MRI cervical spine after examination. It will rule out possibility of any other causes.
Hope it will help. If still any doubt, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes frequent pain in lower right side
- Continuous pain in the right side of head cause treatment
- What causes right sided abdominal pain
- What causes pain in the left side of my jaw
- What caused pain in the right side of the stomach
- What causes right sided head pain on breathing
- What causes dull intense pain in the base of skull
- What causes right sided upper abdominal pain
- What causes right sided pain around the ribs
- Cause of dull pain in right side