• question-icon

What causes stiffness and numbness in the feet?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: 58 years old both feet from the arch to my toes feel stiff and numb almost like someone is squeezing them in a vice.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peripheral neuropathy to consider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In my opinion, peripheral neuropathy, a condition characterized by peripheral nerves damage from different causes, should be considered and evaluated further as a possible cause of your symptoms.

Conditions related to peripheral neuropathy include diabetes, viral infections, low vitamin B12, alcohol use, thyroid gland dysfunction, nerves compression, side effects of certain drugs, etc.

Clinical examination by your Doctor and tests related to above mentioned conditions together with nerve conduction study are necessary to achieve a correct diagnosis.

Discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical