What causes spinning sensation despite a normal MRI scan?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Have a lot of symptoms, and my doctor is now starting to intensivate his search for a diagnosis. But there is one thing that I want to ask you. And this site has been a great helper for both me and my doctor!
It's a kind of dizzyness I guess one can call it. But its not rotary. Last night for example I was in for a CT of lungs. That means I have to lay very still on a table you know? Arms stretched out over head. Laying like this, makes my body or brain think that I am moving. If I close my eyes, I really cant tell if the table that is motorized is moving. Many times I opened my eyes and found that it was still. This is worse in periods. I can have this by lying on coach and kinda feel like I am not still- Not to sound insane, but sometimes it feels like theres something in my spine that kind of shrugs me just a tad forth and back. I know that sounds crazy, but I have read on line there is more like me. It is not visible on the outside, I AM still, but my brain percives it like I am moving. This is making stuff like beforementioned CT scan horrible for me.
I sometimes think that it might be because I have some problems with bloodstream in brain etc. Have taken MRI of brain, nthing wrong except sinuses cronic inflamed. I feel a "tightness" in my head, have a lot of dizzyspells upon going from laying to standing. I have taken a lot of bloodtests, and weirdly on some I am vitamind D lacking and B12 lacking, and some of them I am not. I also have XXXXXXX issues with ACTH which is supposed to be connected to adrenal glands. Don't know if this weird sensation can be related to this. Sometimes I actually think I can provoce somewhat same feeling by making a vaccuum with my finger in my ear. Hard to describe, but putting in a finger to make a vaccuum and moving it making pressure differ. Had the issue fo0r years. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are more suggestive of ear dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of brain disease or lack of blood supply to brain. Moreover, normal MRI of brain rules out all serious diseases of brain.

Your symptoms are very much suggestive of inner ear dysfunction. The most likely possibility is BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

It is a self-limiting condition, and gets better on own in a few days to weeks. For relief of symptoms, betahistine tablets may be used. For long term benefit, vestibular adaptation exercises may be done (can be learnt under the guidance of a physiotherapist).

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 44 minutes later
Hi and thank you for quick answer. It is not BPPV- we have ruled that out, and my symptoms are not like that of BPPV. Not rotary.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That is a great news.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I am glad to note that BPPV has been ruled out.

You should undergo detailed vestibular function tests to detect other causes of peripheral (ear relared) vertigo.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)