What causes smelly vaginal discharge in post menopausal state?
different possible causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Vaginal infections can still occur in women who are post or peri menopausal.
The most common would be yeast infection , for which you used medication. IF the discharge is white yellow then this is still the most likely cause and it is possible that it did not respond to the medication used.
In this case another type of anti fungal treatment should be used.
Another causes of vaginal discharge would be: (1) bacterial vaginosis- this would cause a discharge with a fishy odour.
Not considered a sexually transmitted infection.
It would be treated with metronidazole, tinidazole or cleocin
(3)chlamydia or gonorrhea - these are sexually transmitted infections that are treated with oral antibiotics
(4)trichomoniasis- this is also treated wtih tinidazole or metronidazole.
Normally the discharge has a yellow green appearance
The best way to determine the cause would be a swab done by your doctor.
If this is not an option at this time then you can consider using another treatment option for yeast , if it is not effective then a visit to your doctor is needed.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes smelly vaginal discharge
- What causes smelly vaginal discharge after an orgasm
- Vaginal discharge on urination post ivf what is the cause
- What causes clear vaginal discharge
- Dull cramping in lower abdomen with smelly vaginal discharge
- Smelly vaginal discharge
- What causes green vaginal discharge
- What cause vaginal discharge
- Yellow smelly vaginal discharge
- What could cause smelly vaginal discharge after periods with itching
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...