What causes small outgrowth near the clitoris?

Question
What could cause this painful bump
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Causes detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A small outgrowth near the clitoris which is sensitive and painful can be due to many reasons.The most common reasons can be-
1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful. Needs to be surgically removed if infected.
3. Genital warts- due to a viral infection. Some of the simple tests carried out by your gynaecologist will confirm the diagnosis.
4. Bartholin's cyst.
A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area.
Do a hot fomentation twice daily for pain relief. You can also apply a topical antiseptic ointment like neosporin till you consult your gynecologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes small outgrowth near the clitoris? 5 hours later
Based on the picture which would you say is most likely ?
It feels hard.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sebaceous cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Based on the picture and the hard feeling the most likely possibility is sebaceous cyst and the next possible cause is Bartholin's cyst.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes small outgrowth near the clitoris? 3 minutes later
How is it treated ? And could a dermatologist treat it? My obgyn is out of town

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Dermatologist will help you.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Doing hot fomentation twice a day will help in decreasing the pain and the firmness of the swelling. For permanent cure surgical removal is the best option. Your dermatologist can help you.
Regards.