Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

What causes small outgrowth near the clitoris?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12715 Questions
What could cause this painful bump
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Causes detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A small outgrowth near the clitoris which is sensitive and painful can be due to many reasons.The most common reasons can be-
1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful. Needs to be surgically removed if infected.
3. Genital warts- due to a viral infection. Some of the simple tests carried out by your gynaecologist will confirm the diagnosis.
4. Bartholin's cyst.
A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Till then you can take general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area.
Do a hot fomentation twice daily for pain relief. You can also apply a topical antiseptic ointment like neosporin till you consult your gynecologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes small outgrowth near the clitoris? 5 hours later
Based on the picture which would you say is most likely ?
It feels hard.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sebaceous cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Based on the picture and the hard feeling the most likely possibility is sebaceous cyst and the next possible cause is Bartholin's cyst.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes small outgrowth near the clitoris? 3 minutes later
How is it treated ? And could a dermatologist treat it? My obgyn is out of town
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Dermatologist will help you.

Detailed Answer:
Doing hot fomentation twice a day will help in decreasing the pain and the firmness of the swelling. For permanent cure surgical removal is the best option. Your dermatologist can help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor