What causes shoulder pain radiating to neck and hand?

Posted on Wed, 7 May 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have pain in my right shoulder that now radiates down the back and front of the humerus. Sometimes it will cause pain in my elbow and down into my hand. At times it will move into my neck and jaw. I also have a granulomatis on my right hand that has been there for 2 and a half years. Doctors can not figure out the cause of the granulomatis. Can the two be connected in some way? and if not, what can be causing either of them individualy?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not related to granuloma. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain in the right shoulder radiating to the neck and hand is not likely to be related to the granuloma that you have. This is more likely to be due to cervical spondylosis; muscle spasm; disc degeneration or a nerve root compression. The granuloma is a benign swelling of the soft tissue and may cause pressure symptoms of the adjoining structures in case it is large in size. You need to consult a neurologist for an examination and investigations like X-ray and MRI of the affected area to confirm the diagnosis. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon