What causes pain in the finger along with difficulty in straightening and bending?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have had pain in my index finger for a month and trouble straightening and bending my finger. There are times that my finger remains in a curled position and is very hard to straighten. Could this be arthritis?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to tendonitis or trigger finger

Detailed Answer:
The pain in finger and difficulty in straightening and bending is likely to be due to tendonitis or trigger finger . In addition to x-ray, the investigation of choice for soft tissue injuries of such sort is MRI scan which tells us the degree of damage or any degeneration of the tendon. You may use a splint or a removable brace to help keep the tendons still.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical release of tendons(kept as last resort). Before that, shockwave therapy that allows the shockwaves to be passed through your skin to the affected area can be tried but it should be done under local anesthesia as it is painful.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal