Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes sharp pain in lower abdomen during urination?

General Surgeon
Question
I get a sharp, intense pain in my lower left abdominal area during urination only. Just started yesterday.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Pain during urinating is most likely caused by urinary tract infection. You may have frequent urinating, trace of blood in the urine or fever as well. So the first thing you should do is to have urine analysis done. If an infection will be present you should have antibiotic prescribed. Cranberries supplementation and increased water intake should be also helpful.
If infection will be ruled out, other issues needs to be considered including diverticulitis, ovaries cyst or colon problems.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.