Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

What causes shallow constant pain in lower rib cage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3613 Questions
I have developed a constant shallow pain tender to the touch in my rt lower rib cage about 3-4 inches lateral of the sternum on the last few ribs not attached to sternum directly onset was a week ago roughly. The last few ribs on the bottom rt lower side. It just intensified dramatically a moment ago as i was putting in a earring and laughed while my rt arm was over my head in stretched position getting ready to go out. I spent most of the day today in bed with a heating pad resting and it felt better. My job requires some heavy lifting 75lb items. I moved about 10 of these items yesterday at work since the onset. I have done some heavy to moderate lifting prior to the onset as part of my daily work duties. It is soar to direct pressure currently and feels like I have a Knife stuck in my rib cage. I am a 37 year old female in good shape and weigh approximately 120 lbs. No fever or nausea or other symptoms and I have been taking alleve to help with pain. The pain lessens when im in a slightly leaned forward position seating or standing. Im thinking Ive strained a muscle or a intercostal cartilage between my ribs. What do u think....Thanks XXXXXXX Asked by Me , 58 minutes ago What is the estimated time before I receive a responce Asked by Me , 26 minutes ago
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Muscle spasm. Little work up for gallbladder Detailed Answer: Good day Miss XXXX! Thank you for asking. My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your right hypochondriac pains sudden in onset with a history of heavy lifting objects. Miss XXXXXXX This pain most probably looks like a muscle spasm which has been a result of your spraining activities recently so i advise to stop weighing 70lbs things when you yourself are hardly 120. If that is true and the issue is because of muscle spasm then all you would need is some acetaminophen and some skeletal muscle relaxants like tizanidine or orphenadrines with some rest with future avoidance of these heavy lifting labours. But to be on the safer road lets do some work up. Such pains in women of your age are also very common because of the gallbladder issues with stones and reflux. SO i recommend i Simple abdominal ultrasound with liver functions and pancreatic profile assessment to rule out hepatobiliary tract which lso presents in the very same pattern. Hope this answer finds you in good faith Miss XXXXXXX If you have any more queries please feel free to ask , i would love to answer and keep me posted about your updates. Take some very good care of yourself and Kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Regards D S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor