Can water retention in a newborn's kidneys cause wheezing at night?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor, To give background. if you remember you where asked serious of questions related to child not urinating and mother milk not coming 1 week back. i am the same. Just to remember in future conversations my name is "Axxxxxxx"

Baby age: 3 weeks by tomorrow

Baby is having cat's wheezing at night and cough some times. During pregnancy in 5th month TIFFA scan doctors said baby had water in kidney does this have anything to do with it after that they said they did not found any?

One more is baby is having motions and urine many times this is bothering us as her mothers milk is not being digested for her growth. baby weight now is 3.2 and she has put up only 250 gms in this 3 weeks with mother milk from last 2 weeks. Just after birth this is the weight the baby was.

What all tests if any we have to do for new born babies as we had only jaundice test.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight gain absolutely fine.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking once again on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. Let me tell you that the body weight of a baby drops in the first two weeks and then catches up. So, the very fact that the baby is already gaining weight indicates that weight gain is absolutely fine. There is no reason to get anxious. Rest assured that passing urine and stool frequently does not indicate that the breast milk is not being properly digested. In fact it means the contrary. It means that the feeds are serving their purpose well.

Why do you need any testing to be done? The child is doing fine. Apart from the jaundice test it is advisable to get the TSH level checked. Usually it is done at discharge. Nevertheless, there is no hurry and you can get it checked subsequently.

Occasional cough is normal in babies of this age. But I am a bit skeptical about the wheezing. Could you please provide details? I would also insist you to upload the TIFFA report in case you have it at your disposal.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Regarding Wheezing we did observed it after 1st week when we started mothers milk/formula initially. Now we see it at night in sleep or after feed falling into sleep.

Attaching the TIFFA scan.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stridor

Detailed Answer:
Possibly it is stridor (while taking the air in) and not wheeze (while letting the air out). It could be due to the tracheal cartilage not being strong enough yet (still in formation). It is not a cause for concern.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Thank you doc, will keep you posted. Have you got chance to look at TIFFA reports?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Pardon me for the inadvertent delay in responding. I have checked the attached reports. Although the ultrasound does not look alarming, it calls for follow up after birth. Since that is already ok in the subsequent ultrasonogram, I guess you need not worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad