What causes dull knee pain during cold season?

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having knee pain in my right knee (See attachment). the pain is dull and only slightly nagging when, but is more painful during cold weather. the pain is most noticeable when climbing stairs. pain when climbing stairs is more painful than the dull throb, like a stinging ache. doesn't bother me laying down, and can only kind of feel it with knees bent sitting in chair. Pain is located on outside of right knee and occasionally radiates to too of the knee. what could it be?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
osteochondritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I read throughout
I understood your symptoms and viewed the picture the exact location.
I find the symptoms most consistent with osteochondritis where the cartilage in the joint involved.
A knee brace would definitely help now. You should also take ibuprofen 400mg Thrice a day for three days.
Avoid all activities, positions of knee that cause the pain.
If this doesn't help you should get x-ray of the joint to look for bursitis near the joint.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng