question-icon

What causes severe vertigo while lying on right side?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: I have severe vertigo when lying on my right side or when looking up. After a bout of vertigo, I am usually lightheaded for a while, gettting better throughout the day.

Previously I had a period of two months with dizzy spells, at which time I was diagnosed with an inner ear infection, but hadn't had as much vertigo associated to it.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
? BPPV/? Cervical Spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query; I will try my best to help you out with this problem.

Vertigo or spinning around sensation is a common symptom of various causes. A thorough history and proper evaluation is the key to treat this problem.

According to the history provided by you, it could be either Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) or Cervical spondylosis. In both of the above conditions the dizziness is experienced on rolling over or getting up from the bed and various neck movements.

There are few tests to identify the actual cause.

1. X ray of the cervical spine to rule out spondylosis
2. Hallpike's manoeuvre to rule out BPPV.

I suggest you see a doctor and get those aforementioned tests done.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar (57 minutes later)

Dear Dr. Kumar:

Thanks for your help.

I will book an appointment to get those tests done. In the meantime, anything you would suggest to help with the symptoms?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (26 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Avoid those positions which induces dizziness

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Avoid those positions which induce dizziness. Till you consult your doctor you can try taking Betahistine.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist