Are fainting spells and head paresthesia due to PICA?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: im a 36 yr old female. october of this year i had a vetrebral artery dissection and 5 strokes in the PICA. im still feeling head tingling/numbness and feeling of passing out. whats causing this and will it go away?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined by a neurologist and get investigated if required

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
In vertebral artery territory ataxia, vertigo, weakness and dizziness is common.
These symptoms may persist for few months after the stroke event.
In case, intermittent period was absolutely normal, then possibility of another stroke should be considered.
Continue all medications and get examined by a neurologist if symptoms have worsened for newly appeared.
Anti-vertigo medications like cinnarizine or betahistine can be tried too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D