What causes severe tingling sensation throughout the body?
I still feel bad, I have tingling all over my body: hands, feet, legs, arms, chest. I feel like I could faint and I don't have to family here to be able to call them.
I don't know what might be causing this. I had a problem on my ciatic some time ago and my back sometimes hurt. The medication I use is Ansifix because I use to have migrains sometime ago. I feel heavy and swollen and now the numbiness and tingling is all the time. I felt like that a few days ago.
Please what should I do.
Cause of generalised tingling and other symptoms
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for asking from HCM.
I can understand your concern. Your history is suggesting that you had sudden episode of generalised tingling in limbs, spasms, breathlessness, restlessness, dizziness (feeling of fainting), loneliness (no family) and swollen feet. These symptoms can be because of
- Organic disease
- Psychological illness
We must first rule out organic illness in you. Organic diseases which can cause such kind of symptoms are
- Cardiac illness -
It can be suspected if you have left side chest pain, family history of heart disease, obesity, breathless on mild exertion and symptoms are persistent.
To confirm it, you must visit ER and get ECG and ECHO done. If there is no positive above factors, it is unlikely.
- Cervical cord myelopathy - It can be suspected if there is history of neck pain, current like pain radiating from neck to upper limbs, spasticity in lower limbs, detectable sensory loss in limbs.
Your history is not resembling it. However if in doubt, it can be ruled out by MRI cervical spine.
- Respiratory disease - It can be pneumonia or effusion. respiratory diseases usually present with cough, expectoration, fever, chest pain and breathlessness. Your history is not resembling it either.
It can be ruled out by Chest X ray, chest examination and sputum study.
- Acute exacerbation of hyperthyroidism - It can present with all the features you mentioned. I consider it less likely as it is usually uncommon. Hypothyroidism is more prevalent. But we must rule it out by getting thyroid function test.
- Caffeine overdose - It can cause hyper stimulation and symptoms resemble with hypothyroidism. There is insomnia, tremors in hands, sweating, restlessness, breathlessness, palpitation.
If you are coffee addict, stop it for some time. Hydrate your body to overcome toxicity.
- Adrenaline over secretion - Cause can be adrenal gland tumor like pheochromocytoma/mass lesion/hyperplasia. It is a rare condition.
To confirm it, we need urine VMA levels, NCCT abdomen and some blood tests.
After ruling out above organic diseases, we can think of psychological illness i.e. anxiety-panic attack. The features are quite similar as you mentioned in the history. Also you gave history of intake of Ansifix, which is given for anxiety. If you are a known patient of anxiety, you must consider a possibility of panic attack.
To treat it, you can take
- Tablet Ansifix as prescribed
- Try to hold yourself and remain calm
- You can take propranolol after prescription
- Take deep breath and avoid shallow, rapid breaths.
- You can take a shower to calm yourself.
- If no relief, consult friends or family member and go to ER.
- After relief, try to include meditation in your daily routine.
Hope above information will help you. If still having doubts, do let me know.
Thanks. Take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes tingling sensation over spleen area
- What causes numbness and tingling sensation in my hands
- What causes tingling sensation in head
- What causes tingling sensation on face
- What could be the cause for tingling sensation inside ears
- What causes crawling and tingling sensation in body
- What causes pain and tingling sensation in hands
- Tingling sensation in arm finger what could be the cause
- What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms
- Getting tingling sensation in foot what is causing this