• question-icon

What causes severe pain in upper thigh muscles in an elderly woman?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a 67 year old woman. In Aug. of last year my upper thigh muscles started to ache. My reg. dr. put me on predoson. Did no good. Checked my thyroid. Normal. He said he had not idea what it was and sent me to a rheumotologist. He did no blood work, but checked my records and he had no idea either. I have communicated with Dr Topiwala and Dr Divakara from Web MD They suggested the following blood tests: Vit d 3 levels, uric acid Vit b12, CBC Electrolyes esp sodium and potassium, HBA1C, liver-SGOT, SGPT, Albumin, Bilburin, alkaline, phosphatase kidney- BUN and Creatinnie, 25 hydroxyl Vit D. These have been done and all came back normal. One of the Web Md dr suggested an angiography scan, and nerve disease test. Those have not been done. I take the following med: levothyroxine 25 mg.lisinopril 25 mg,alplaxoram 5 mg, tramadol 25 mg, methocrabam 750 mg, 3 fish oil, 1 baby asprin, centruim silver, and a couple of herbs: liver cleanse and tripallia. Any advice you could give would be appreciated. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Meralgia paresthetica

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Your history is suggestive of a condition known as Meralgia Paresthesia.
It is a type of pinched nerve. Associated conditions like Diabetes, thyroid have been ruled out by our fellow doctors.
For the treatment , I would recommend a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine.
You need to avoid squatting position and cross leg posture.
Do quadriceps strengthening exercises.
This is a self limiting condition and responds well to Pregabalin and conservative treatment as discussed.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Dr. Anshul Varshney