• question-icon

    What causes severe pain in upper thigh muscles in an elderly woman?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a 67 year old woman. In Aug. of last year my upper thigh muscles started to ache. My reg. dr. put me on predoson. Did no good. Checked my thyroid. Normal. He said he had not idea what it was and sent me to a rheumotologist. He did no blood work, but checked my records and he had no idea either. I have communicated with Dr Topiwala and Dr Divakara from Web MD They suggested the following blood tests: Vit d 3 levels, uric acid Vit b12, CBC Electrolyes esp sodium and potassium, HBA1C, liver-SGOT, SGPT, Albumin, Bilburin, alkaline, phosphatase kidney- BUN and Creatinnie, 25 hydroxyl Vit D. These have been done and all came back normal. One of the Web Md dr suggested an angiography scan, and nerve disease test. Those have not been done. I take the following med: levothyroxine 25 mg.lisinopril 25 mg,alplaxoram 5 mg, tramadol 25 mg, methocrabam 750 mg, 3 fish oil, 1 baby asprin, centruim silver, and a couple of herbs: liver cleanse and tripallia. Any advice you could give would be appreciated. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Meralgia paresthetica

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Your history is suggestive of a condition known as Meralgia Paresthesia.
It is a type of pinched nerve. Associated conditions like Diabetes, thyroid have been ruled out by our fellow doctors.
For the treatment , I would recommend a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine.
You need to avoid squatting position and cross leg posture.
Do quadriceps strengthening exercises.
This is a self limiting condition and responds well to Pregabalin and conservative treatment as discussed.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3072 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hba1c

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from dehydration for a month and a half. The problem is when I get fluids from the ER, it comes back again because I have...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.Mainly i want to know the health of the...

doctor1 MD

Can I reverse a possible chance that I have Typ 2 diebetties ?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

141 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Anshul Varshney
  • Q - What is the window period for HIV test post exposure?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for allergic reaction to Azithral in a child

  • Q - Does Bayer Aspirin cause burping?

  • Q - What causes clear discharge and strong smelling urine?

  • Q - What causes chest pain with normal ECG report?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for nausea, stomach pain and loss of appetite

  • Q - What causes leg pain in sleep?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for hepatitis C in a heart patient

  • Q - Suggest treatment for acute bronchitis

  • Q - What causes sore neck and heavy head post head oil massage?