Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

What causes severe pain in lower jaw bone?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
Several times lately I am awakened during sleep at night by severe pain in my jaw bone on both sides. My entire lowerj jaw hurts severely but more so perhaps in the rear near my ears. There seems to be a pressure involved as well.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to arthritis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The sudden severe pain in the jaw bone on both the sides could be due to age related osteoporosis or a Tm joint inflammation. An infection in the ear or in the oral cavity is less likely. A direct examination and an X-ray of the area will help in proper diagnosis. most of the times such pain subsides on taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen and doing a hot fomentation in the area. You can also consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and a more definitive treatment. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes severe pain in lower jaw bone? 20 hours later
I took naproxen which didn't help. Fearing it might be heart related, I chewed two baby-aspirin, Instead of getting better the pain seemed to intensify so I took a Vicodin left over from previous oral surgery (extraction), After another hour the pain had lessened somewhat but I couldn't go to sleep so I took i/2 Vicodin. After having been awake and hurting for nearly four hours, I finally dozed off. I awakened several hours later. pain-free and have had no problrm since. However this was my third and worst episode over the last 8-10 weeks. Do you recommend I see a orthopedic specialist?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Since the pain is getting more and more severe it is best to consult an orthopedician and a dentist for proper examination. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor