• question-icon

What causes severe pain during defecation?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi Sir,

I had a hard stool one week back and it was paining on sides but no blood.Then i started taking more liquids and lexatives.My stool became normal and on time.But still whenever i am going to stool it is paining on the sides even after going to the stool the pain lasts for some more time.Some times the pain on the sides comes even i sit also.
So could you please help me.

I am worried a lot.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anal fissure is the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are very characteristic for anal fissure. It is a kind of wound. It has appeared when the hard stool was passing. Now, it needs some time to get healed.
Please keep your stool soft. Add probiotic and fiber to your diet. Start OTC suppositories for hemorrhoids. Nitrendypine gel (prescribed by your doctor) should help a lot.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply Sir.

I have few questions:

1)How much time will it take to get healed? because it is almost 2 weeks since i am experiencing pain on the sides.
2)Currently i am taking lexative syrup, advil and recticare ointment.Are they useful?
3)Will this pain leads to any other causes like piles etc.

Could you please help me with these.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answers below.

Detailed Answer:
Usually it takes a week or so for fissure to get healed. Of course if the treatment is correct.
Laxatives are fine. The rest does not help much. Like I have said before, Nitrendipine cream is the right treatment for you.
If treated correctly, it wont cause any complications
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Hi Sir,

I currently stay in US and i donot see that Nitrendipine cream ,so is there any alternative for that and basically what does it do?

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nitroglycerin cream.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Nitroglycerine cream is an alternative. Both of them acts by relaxing the rectal muscle.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Hi Sir,

I found below products

1)Emuaid First Aid Ointment
2)Doctor Butler's Hemorrhoid & Fissure Ointment with FDA Approved Pain Relieving & Healing Formula
3)Forces of Nature Fissure Control

Which one of those better and if not can u please mention the name of the ointment

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please try Rectiv.

Detailed Answer:
None of mentioned seems to be the right choice.
In US nitroglycerin cream brand name is Rectiv. You need a prescription for it. It would be good to contact your doctor.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon