What causes severe muscle spasms in right thigh while on Amlodipine?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was a statin a few months ago and had a severe XXXXXXX horse in my right thigh which afterwards I noticed a hernia-like nodule. Now, my inner right thigh become edematous when I stand or walk too much. I am on HTN medication amlodipine. Can you tell me what this can be?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to amlodipne but rule out local inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be due to that nodule you had seen in the leg and inflammation caused by it or compression of lymphatic or vessels leading to sorrounding edema or swelling but such conditions can be part of amlodipine therapy too which causes edema or swelling in lower legs. Usually the swelling is in lower legs but, already present inflammation or vessel blockage can be exacerbated by amlodipine.

A local examination by your doctor and ultrasound of the swelling may be needed. If solid or cystic swelling is seen, it may need to be biopsied in such cases so shouldn't be ignored. However switching amlodipine to other group like ACE or ARBs may be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 16 hours later
Thanks for your help. I had considered the lymphatic system, but had not considered the amlodipine aspect. I will definitely discuss both with the doctor on Tuesday when I go for my appointment. I will also have the nodule assessed as well. Thanks again, Dr. Ulabidin. You have been a great help.

Jessica
Brief Answer:
Closing remarks

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for sharing a detailed feeback and appreciation. You are always welcome for any help in future too. You can always contact me through my profile in directed queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee