What causes severe knee pain and balancing issues?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Stroke
Question: Yesterday I had pain in the back of my left knee. Today I had balance problems and feeling sick to my stomach. Are these signs of a TIA?

I had a stroke October 18, 2015. My heart has 12 stents because a heart attack August 8, 1992. Are these contributing factures?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No these are symptoms of a TIA

Detailed Answer:
A TIA is short for TRANSIENT ISCHEMIC ATTACK.

It is what a call a temporary loss of BRAIN FUNCTION due to the blockage of blood flow for some reason to a specific area which results in the TEMPORARY (usually <60 min...but could be a bit longer) but REVERSIBLE loss of brain function. Therefore, patients regain full neurological function when the blockage is reversed (usually on its own). Your symptoms of nausea or queasiness is not considered a focal sign of BRAIN DYSFUNCTION due to the blockage of an artery.

Also, pain in the back of the knee is not considered any type of symptom of either TIA or stroke.

The presence of 12 stents in the heart is remarkable (in my opinion) and could be indicative of severe peripheral vascular disease which would suggest you may have had either a carotid artery blockage or some other blood vessel that could've led to the stroke. Stents in the heart itself are not risk factors for strokes because those devices are placed within the system of blood vessels that feeds the heart. Any type of risk of something bad from those stents would directly affect the heart muscle not the brain.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.