• question-icon

What causes severe joint pain after having orgasm?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

I am 29 years old.
I have joint pain mean in knees ,hands and hip and spinal cord this everything happens after orgasam. This last for few weeks. I had Vit d , cal, phosphorus, CBC test everything came as normal. and fuinally my doctor ordered for CRP, which also came as -ve. I Googled the internet it seems like I have POIS.

My hairs in head mustache and in chest started to fall so done a testosterone test. which again came normal.
kindly help me to get throu out of it
thank u
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following are treatment options for POIS

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description I am convinced with the diagnosis of post orgasm illness syndrome which is quite common among youths.

Although there are no definite treatment options are available for the POIS but the following remedies may help you immensely.

SSRI group of medicines show good results in POIS and one such example from the group is capsule Fluoxetine 20 mg to be taken in morning. The results are good after two to four weeks of treatment. Since this is prescription only medicine I request you to get prescription from local doctor to buy the medicine.

Garlic in amount of 15-20 gram per day helps further in POIS. You can increase the amount of garlic in your diet to improve the symptoms of POIS.

So to conclude start taking cap fluoxetine 20 mg and around 15-20 gram of garlic every day.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 55 minutes later
Thanks for reply......
is this caused by neurotransmitter imbalance or hormonal imbalance ...?

whether post orgasam will cause autoimmune response to body....?

I am not able to walk after orgasam

Please help me if there is any test to rule out....
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is probably due to neurotransmitter imbalance

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for reverting back to me.

PIOS is thought o be due to neurotransmitter imbalance particularly deficiency of serotonin in certain brain areas.

There is no study which points out toward hormonal imbalance although it is speculated that hormonal factors play role in causation of POIS.

There is no autoimmune response in regard to POIS. This was just a theory and refuted by research.

The symptoms of POIS are very vague and can be limiting to the person as in your case. We do not have any test till date to either rule out or in , with regard to POIS but history is enough to diagnose the condition.

In my view follow abstince for two weeks and start treatment as advised above. I hope you will see positive results in few weeks.

Hope this assists you further.
Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist