What causes severe itchy throat, watery eyes and running nose while on Topamax?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have been on Topamax for a couple of years now - always on 50mg twice a day but in the last 6 months have gone up to 75mg twice a day then 100mg twice a day. I started to get a terrible itchy throat suddenly, wattery eyes & had to have lozenges & water on hand all the time to handle that but just in the last 2 weeks I have had the most horrible blocked but also runny nose 24/7. I just thought I had a cold at first but it has just continued. I have had vitamins, cold & flu tablets, nasal sprays, nasal/sinus washes - I have never had it sooo blocked. I cannot handle it any longer. I think it must be the Topamax. I have been on the 100mg strength for 3 months now. Is it possible to be this even though it has been months? Does it take a while to get worse in side effects? If it is that, should I go off it? or just see about reducing the strength? It still annoyed me with the throat but at least I could control it...sort of. I can't handle this any more! It doesn't stop my seizures anyway, I just wish the Dr and specialist would let me go off the damn stuff! Sorry, but it is annoying me. Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible allergic rhinitis, reduce topamax dosage

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

Having itchy throat and watery eyes are symptoms of possible allergic rhinitis. If it gets worse when using topamax lozenges, then, could be a possible side effect of it.

If I was your caring doctor would:
- run a good clinical/ENT examination
- reduce the dosage of topamax and see the changes
- consider other medications to manage epilepsy attacts
- run culture of throat swab to rule out strep throat and/or Candida overgrowth

Hope it was of help.
Dr.Albana