What causes severe itching throughout the body with elevated BUN/creatinine ratio?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have itching all over but no rash. creatinie and BUN are slightly elevated. am on levithyroxin and most recent lab level was slightly high. thyroid removed 1.5 years ago due to cancer. parathyroids gone, also.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid and kidney problems can cause itchiness- tests recommended

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.
I read your question and understand your concern.

Several causes can be considered for itchiness without skin rash.

If your itchiness is located on only exposed areas (face, forearms, hands and shins) this is common and not serious as it is related to sensitivity to ultraviolet rays.

If itchiness is more generalized and without an apparent skin lesion is generally not related to dermatological problems but other systemic issues that cause the itchiness. You already have a mildly abnormal thyroid level- thyroid is a common cause of this problem so please make sure you talk with your doctor and adjust the dose of Levothyroxine to have normal TSH levels.

Are you also taking some calcium and vitamin D? Patients that have parathyroids removed need to take extra calcium and vitamin D as parathyroid is very important for calcium levels in blood. It is unlikely parathyroid to be the cause of the itchiness but low calcium can cause problems with sensation also.

If the BUN and creatinine are elevated than you will need to do further tests to evaluate the kidney function as kidneys are a common cause of itchiness if they are not working well.

Have you checked glucose also? This would be good to be checked if not done in the last year.

Sometimes very rare diseases might be the cause of itchiness but are very rare like Hodgin's disease but we consider this if all the other causes are ruled out or if specific symptoms related to it are being noticed.

To summarize I would say:

1. Make sure you talk with your doctor on Levothyroxine dose and having good TSH levels
2. you might need some calcium and Vit D to compensate for low Parathormone levels- do a blood level of calcium and if it is low than you will need the calcium and vit D supplement
3. Make sure you do thorough test for the kidney function- this is a very important cause of itchiness and very important health issue also.
4. Routine tests like, fasting blood glucose, CBC and chest X-ray would be good to be performed also.
5. Make sure you keep your skin hydrated with emolients especially after baths and once a day at least. Avoid hot baths and prolonged ones- these might dry out the skin and cause it to be itchy.
6. If itchiness is only in sun exposed areas than try to wear sunscreen, avoid sun as much as you can, wear protective measures like hats, long sleeves etc.

I hope this answers to your question and is helpful to you but please feel free to contact me in case of anymore clarifications .

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee