What causes memory loss, intermittent blackouts and lack of concentration while on Clonazepam?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I feel completely dumb I can't concentrate I can't think straight I feel like I can't function has the time even though I am I'm having memory loss I sometimes blackout for a Split Second I had an MRI month ago and it showed nothing same with the CT scan I'm on NP tyriod 30 mg for my hashimotos but I just don't know what else to do cuz I can't function properly
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tests

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.
If your thyroid is not properly controlled, it is possible to experience such problems.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Free T4 (this too checks your thyroid) Thyroid autoantibodies : Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies and Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day Correct diagnosis and treatment requires the opportunity to examine the patient so you must see an endocrinologist in-person.
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 minutes later
i had blood work done all of this, plus more a month ago. i had mri, ct scan. i did come off m5 of clozpam woyld that cause this, ive been off for 4 months
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Clonazepam withdrawal is a possibility too. You need to get evaluated for this, by a psychiatrist