What causes running nose, fluid in ears and swelling on right-sided face?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 25 month old granddaughter has a runny nose and eyes, fluid in her ears and the right side of her face is from the eye to the jaw. She seems OK after we give her Tylenol and Benadryl. Her mouth is even sagging a little on that same side. Should we be concerned? The PA said this morning that it was her sinus.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached image. Your granddaughter most likely has a viral infection and if the child is otherwise active and fine you need not worry. However, since there seems to be a deviation of the angle of the mouth, it would definitely be a good idea to get her examined by a doctor at the urgent care.

Give her some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for a few days and that will take care of the runny nose.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Thanks. She had Zyrtec for two nights in a row, but not last night. I noticed that one of the side effects of Zyrtec is face swelling. Could this be the cause? Would it swell just on one side?
Also, it looks to me like her nose is also starting to swell a little and turn slightly red. My daughter in law says her lip is dropping from the swelling. She is trying to get a hold of the on call doctor, where she takes her when sick, to see if they think it truly is sinus problems with swelling only on one side of her face. I would think you would see it on both sides from your sinuses.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get her evaluated by a doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Even though it can cause increased sleepiness, Zyrtec is unlikely to cause facial swelling. I would insist you to take her to a doctor or to the ER to get her swelling evaluated.

Giving steam inhalation should help in resolving her sinus problems. Water in form of vapor reaches deep inside and helps in diluting the cough in the sinuses and thus provides relief.