What causes ringing in ears?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Three weeks ago I started having this ringing in my head. I had been using fans because my air conditioner had broken. I use to have a lot of Sinus infections when I lived in MI.but in NM they have been minor. During the fan use my left side of my face started hurting, like my last bad infection. I got it to stop with Colloidal Silver. The ringing didn't start right away but it the only thing I can tie it to. I was in UT Southwestern because they thought I had Insulinoma again. but I got the all clear. I do feel something is going on. My BS is OK now but it usually acts up when something is going on in my body or stress.
I could live with the noise it didn't hurt my ears and head wasn't so loud. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
audiometry

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Ringing in the ear can be due to a variety of reasons.
Nerve damage (usually due to ageing which is accelerated due to diabetes), ear infections, fluid in the ear can all cause ringing.

Since your ENT doctor has already examined you and said your ears are normal, then the problem probably lies in your nerve.

Please get a pure tone audiometry done, it will detect nerve damage.

Till then please ignore the ringing, the more attention you pay it the more it will bother you.

At night if you find it difficult to sleep then keep the radio on at low volume , it will drown the sound.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 6 hours later
the ENT said he could see no problem but he is sending me for more test.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
get audiometry

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,

Problems in the inner ear cannot be seen on external examination of the ear.

Problmes in the inner ear require special tests. That is why your doctor has asked for more tests. Follow the advice of your doctor.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad