• question-icon

What causes right-sided chest pain after injury?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Fell down stairs, having chest pain when inhaling rt side
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Local chest contusion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

It is necessary to know more details about your condition such how much hours passed from the fall, when symptoms started, any bruises at the pain location, in order to understand better your condition.

In my opinion, it is probably just a local chest contusion, or intercostal ( between the ribs ) muscles overstretched.

Local application of heat pads, rest and NSAID drugs use such Ibuprofen, should help improve the pain.

If the pain worsens or any new symptoms appear such difficulty breathing, you should get evaluated at your nearest ER.

If pain will not subside after one day or two with above mentioned remedies, a chest x-rays needed to evaluate any broken ribs.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 5 hours later
Yes, I am in some discomfort this a.m. And have taken extrastrength over -the-counter tylenol toease the pain in back and chest wall. This mishap happened about 9 hours ago. Thanks for your reply...I will try toget a heat pad today.
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I think use of Ibuprofen besides Tylenol should control the pain.

The fact that passed around ten hours and there was no worsening of your condition, probably there are no serious damages.

However, if you notice any worsening, or new symptoms in a couple of days, get evaluated medically.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical