What causes reoccurring pains above my belly button?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have reoccurring pains above my belly button, painful (10) squeezing followed by gargling and eruption sounding in that area. Went to the ER diagnosed with mild mesenteric edema WBC elevated.
Two weeks later have had 3 occurrence of the severe pain with constant mild pain over belly button same area.
I got a 10 day course of antibiotics from my physician and took the whole course.
Very painful could this be IBS? I need to educate my family physician because the pain is unbearable and I can't run to ER every time.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions given.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem are unlikely to be due to IBS. Rather, there are two things involved. The first is due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. The second component involves a possible gastrointestinal infection which which should have resolved with the course of antibiotics. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D