What causes redness on one side of tonsil?

Posted on Fri, 8 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a red thing growing on side of tonsil it is like a spike .I am 23 years old male .no medical history noticed it like 3 days ago and it looks like it is getting longer and it has like a red dot on the bottom I just noticed. can any one please help. it don't hurt but annoying . I did go to a urgent care and the Dr. didn't see any thing like it before I am worried .I do construction on I have very little time to go to a hospital or anything please help!
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably lingual tonsillitis needs physical examination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I understand your query and concern.

It is not possible to comment here without a physical examination of the throat and surrounding area.

Your description suggests that its probably that Lingual tonsillitis which is an inflammation of the tonsils located at the root of tongue.They are caused by viral and bacterial infection.

You require an examination by an ENT specialist and then treatment would be prescribed accordingly.

You need to start Tab. Amoxicillin 500 mg and Tab. voveron twice daily for 5 days.

These drugs should be taken under strict medical prescription of your doctor.

Meanwhile some suggestions for you:

1. Avoid cold, spicy and oily food.

2. Avoid milk products like cheese, curd, butter.

3. Gargle your throat 3 times a day with warm (not hot) salt water, you can also get yourself betadine gargle.

Post your further queries if any,

Thank you.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu