What causes recurrent viral diarrhea in children?
It is quite common to get viral diarrheas like this
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
It is very common for viral diarrheas to recurr in day care centers and the viral illness can take the form or recurrent cough and cold too.
It seems your kid is having recurrent viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.
I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).
Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
It is normal - don't worry - looks like viral illness
Hi....by what you quote I feel that it could be a recurrent viral illness. Don't worry.
Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
Occasional fever too is not to be worried about. I will suggest you how a viral illness behaves, so that you will be more comfortable.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for even 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes consistent diarrhea
- What causes recurrent nausea and diarrhea with gas
- What causes instant diarrhea
- What causes violent diarrhea
- How is viral diarrhea and its symptoms treated
- What causes acid diarrhea
- What causes continuous diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea in children
- Treatment for viral diarrhea
- What can cause diarrhea
- What causes recurrent cold,cough and high fever in a child?
- What should be Neozeet dosage for cold and cough in a child?
- What causes swelling and redness on eyelid after taking Desonide?
- What causes an indentation on upper back?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea in an infant
- Does black molds in house during pregnancy cause any complication?
- Suggest treatment for fungal infection of in groin area
- What causes swollen cluster of veins on lower back?
- What causes diarrhea with vomiting?
- What causes low appetite after stomach infection?