What causes rectal bleeding and unusual bruising on the skin?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Lupus
Question: I have had unexplained bruising and some occasional rectal bleeding on end of and sometimes sides of my bowel movements. I recently saw a rheumatologist after being referred due to a CCP score of 39 and peripheral neuropathy. The Dr ordered blood tests and my MPV was 7.2 only .3 points low and had a L flag on it. Is this something I should be concerned with? It seems to me to be another subtle indicator of early RA.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Early RA

Detailed Answer:
good evening..

thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, I suppose your anti ccp was performed in view of the foot and joint pains you were experiencing.

Well to label it as early RA, we do need to see joint inflammation as well. There is a chance you may not even develop full blown rheumatoid arthritis as anti ccp can be positive 5 years in advance as well. But since. you are experiencing joint pains , I would suggest we look into ESR and CRP as well. The other investigation which can detect If you have underlying RA would be Ultrasound or MRI of the hand joints.

As for MPV, it is not a marker for early RA. it just shows low platelet volume which may be associated with your bruising.

The other thing I am concerned about is your neuropathy and rectal bleed. some conditiond have a connection. So if you could let me know your NCV report it would give me a clue on how strong we need to treat it and if it is any reversible.

Hope the information was useful.. do let me know for more queries

regard
Dr naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj