What causes rapid weight gain, unexplained bruises and hair loss?

Question
Rapid weight gain (20 pound ) in 2 months, unexplained bruises, hair loss, and frequent urination. What could cause that?
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Good day.
Noted your history and as per that I would keep Cushings syndrome as a strong possibility. It would present with rapid weight gain, bruises and diabetes.
Diabetes can cause frequent urination.
I would suggest few tests like,
CBC, electrolytes, 24 hour urine free cortisol, fasting blood sugar and Thyroid function tests. You will also need an endocrine work up.
Binu

Follow-up: What causes rapid weight gain, unexplained bruises and hair loss? 24 minutes later
Also have lesion in lungs. Sure not hypothyroidism

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lung lesions can produce hormones

Detailed Answer:
What type of lung lesions are they? Do you have a CT scan report to attach? There are several lung lesions which can cause cushings syndrome.
I mentioned about thyroid function tests as hypothyroidism often present with weight gain and hair fall. However the bruises is unusual in hypothyroidism. It would have been great if you could attach a photo of those bruises. Are they pinkish and broad?