• question-icon

What causes rapid heart rate, nausea and fullness after the meal?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Several months ago (approx 10 months) i was diagnosed w/ hypertension, started on beta blockers and hctz. I still get very sob climbing stairs and heart rate remains elevated @ 110,( i have recently been diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia). My hr is elevated intermittently at rest as well, and can wake me up from sleep at night. My stress test/echo was negative. Ekg showed a normal sinus rhythm w/ a few pvcs.
I tend to get full very quickly after beginning a meal, and feel nauseous a few times a week.
I have recently noticed a small amount of protein 2+ in my urine, a spec grav of 1.030 and a low ph of 6.0, noted through a urine sample and have used a Urinalysis reagant strip at home.
Also noted through my Cbc was iron deficiency anemia, not very low but outside of nml parameters, as stated above. My albumin level was borderline and periodically i have 1+ pitting edema in bilateral ankles/feet. My cardiologist doesn't seem concerned, but i myself have noticed increased dryness all over, i drink plenty of water, and itch all over. I am very concerned for kidney disease since i have a Hx of htn. Is there any reason to warrant my concerns ? ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that it is important performing further tests to examine your kidneys. You should know that a small amount of protein in urine and urine pH changes can be related to extrarenal causes like physical effort, diet, certain drugs, etc..

An isolated urine analysis is not a confident indicator of renal function.

So relax and do not worry about it!

Your elevated heart rate could be partially related to chronic anemia. As you have been diagnosed with iron deficiency, I would recommend taking for some months iron supplements.

From the other hand, I would recommend further tests to exclude other possible causes of increased heart rate and possible feet edema:

- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends during the day and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia
- blood electrolytes for possible electrolyte imbalance, which can lead to cardiac arrhythmia
- thyroid hormone levels (as thyroid dysfunction can lead to increased heart rate)
- blood osmolarity
- creatinine clearance test besides other kidney function tests
- abdominal ultrasound to examine your kidney and urinary tract.

I would advise you repeating kidney function tests every 3 months, in order to monitor your kidney function for any possible changes.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist