Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes pus coming out between two teeth and pain when flossing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1957 Questions
Hello. I cut the area between two teeth when flossing. Nothing happened for a while but today I noticed a small amount of pus coming out of that area when I flossed. There is no inflammation--gums are not red, but I do feel a sharp pain when I floss or bite down hard. What do I do? I have some amoxicillin at home that I just took and I've garbled my mouth with salt.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Apply mouth gels on the affected area. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to the Forum, Due to improper flossing you have developed a cut in the region. This is not a serious condition, the cut gum is prone to infection leading to formation of pus and infection. Don't worry. Apply mouth ulcer gels / ointment topically over the affected area. Your pharmacist should dispense the ulcer gel over the counter. Avoid flossing in the region for some days. At home do symptomatic treatment with lukewarm saline rinses and antiseptic mouthwash gargles. Maintain a good oral hygiene. For better flossing benefits you need to practice proper flossing technique; get it demonstrated by your Dentist. Wind the floss on both the middle fingers, holding the floss tautly between the thumb and index finger slide it gently up and down between your teeth, gently curve the floss around the base of each tooth making sure that it does not go beneath the gum line. Never snap or force the floss as this may cut or bruise the gum tissue. Hope this answered your query, If you have any other query i will be glad to answer! Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor