What causes puffiness of face?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: for months now I've been noticing my face get puffier and puffier. I've been drinking plenty of water, eating healthy, and exercising so I'm not too sure whats making my face either gain wait or retain water. I actually think that I've been healthier then I was before this all started yet my face is still puffy. Back when this started happening I went through a bad breakup and I've been extremely stressed and down for about 8 months, so I'm not sure its its hormones or cortisol. I have also had about 15 kidney stones since i was 15 years old and constantly have them in my kidneys which makes me have blood in my urine. I also thought this could be something that triggered problems in my kidney making me retain water in my face. My kidney doctor wants to do an endoscopy on my kidney to make sure nothings wrong and well be doing that in the next couple weeks but My arms, legs, and rest of the body and very fit with barely any body fat (under %12 percent) so im not sure if kidneys are causing this. the first picture of me is about a month before anything started happening and the other two are from recently and show how badly my face has been puffing up. I have gone to the doctor to get my blood tested and everything including thyroid was fine so that's counted out. any help would be greatly appreciated because I've been battling this for a while and cant figure it out!
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reduce salt & sugar intake,get renal function test

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Puffiness of face and other body parts can occur due to salt and water retention.
Since, you are eating and exercising well, you may be prone to salt and water retention!
It sounds strange but when body is lean and has well built muscles and less fat, the body reacts to any excess of salt in food.
Try to reduce salt as well as sugar in your diet.
Salt and sugar are high in fast foods.

The other possibility is of renal dysfunction.
There is a possibility of renal dysfunction since, you have had renal disease (kidney stones) in the past.

Thus, I would suggest you to get renal function tests and urine test- routine and microscopy.
In case there is any compromise of renal functions, swelling of face can occur.
The cause of face swelling can be obtained after geeting these investigations.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 26 hours later
I dont think that its salt and sugar because when my face was skinny i didnt eat very healthy but ill surely try to limit that to as little as I can. I also somewhat feel pressure behind my skin where the maxillary sinus is so do you think it could be a sinus problem? it makes it pretty hard to smile or move my face muscles
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Maxillary sinusitis will produce pain and discomfort in the maxillary region and lot of nasal discharge if the infection is acute.
In chronic cases of maxillary sinusitis, there is discomfort and little or no discharge.

Difficulty is smiling or moving the facial muscles is more suggestive of muscular problem rather than a sinus problem.

However, I would suggest you to consult an ENT specialist for clinical assessment so as to look for the cause of pressure in maxillary region and difficulty in smiling or moving the facial muscles.

Regarding your problem of facial puffiness, renal function tests should be done and a close follow should also be done.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D