What causes pricking sensation in the skin?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been experiencing a wierd picking sensation on my skin. It happens frequently and in different areas. It sort of feels like a bite from a black fly, however, there are no insects in sight. I will feel one here and then one there. Randomly. The usual places are on my arms and legs, neck, back,and even my scalp. There are long periods of time when I don't notice any pricks. I can be indoors or outside when I notice this odd sensation.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be polyneuropathic or allergic skin involvement

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the history you have shared, it is difficult to pin point a single cause for these symptoms. It can be neurological due to polyneuropathies or can be infective or allergic skin condition like scabies or utricaria. However in abscene of a rash or furrows these are less likely.

It can even be nothing but assumption of these sensations even when they are not there. This can be due to psychogenic perception of ticks or tingling. Using duloxetine or carbamezapine after discussing with your GP may help alongwith an anti histamine like cetrizine for few days.

Using supplements of vitamin B12 and folic acid may also be helpful as neuropathic pains or ticks can even be due to their defficiencies. If problem persisted a detailed clinical examination and blood work up may be needed.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad