What causes pins and needle sensations in feet?
Peripheral neuropathy more likely
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
Those symptoms are not common for a stroke. Is that what the brain scan result said (if yes can you upload report), or do you mean that a scan was requested for that suspicion? I do not think a stroke is likely as it usually causes symptoms on one side of the body, does not involve both feet, but upper and lower limb on one side. There are some rare variations, but really rare.
Pins and needles on both feet are much more typical for peripheral neuropathy, damage to peripheral nerves. Such damage can be due to many causes, so it might have been useful if you had provided some more info on the time and manner of onset and progression, other conditions or drugs you are taking etc.
Most common cause for peripheral neuropathy is diabetes followed by chronic alcohol abuse. Other possible causes include nutritional deficiencies, exposure to toxins, hormonal imbalance, infections, liver and kidney failure, hereditary conditions etc etc.
To confirm the diagnosis a neurological exam for signs such as lowered reflexes, muscle weakness etc is necessary as well as a test called nerve conduction studies. Afterward tests to search for the cause are started such as blood glucose and HbA1c, blood count, ESR, electrolytes, liver and kidney function, vitamin B12, thyroid function etc, tests can be really many it is started by most common causes and if they yield no positive results rarer ones are investigated. Management consists in addressing the cause and if symptoms are too bothersome medication like gabapentin, pregabalin, duloxetine.
I remain at your disposal for further question (possibly with some more info).
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pins and needles feeling in hands and feet is caused by what
- Causes pins and needles feet around anus
- What causes pins and needles sensation in children
- What cause of pins and needles feeling in feet
- What causes pins and needles sensation
- What causes pin prick sensation in soles of feet
- What causes pins and needles sensation on leg
- What causes pins and needles sensation with headaches
- What causes pin prick sensation in hands and feet
- Does ketosis cause pins and needles in hands and feet
- What causes vision issues and incoordination inspite of being on...
- What causes swollen artery in neck area along with painful swollen right...
- What causes pain in back of head?
- What causes episodes of temporary dizziness and imbalance while or after...
- Is it safe to vaporize Cannabis one month before a major back surgery?
- Suggest treatment for episodes of amnesia, nausea and severe imbalance
- How permanent a spinal cord contusion can be?
- Does Cocaine increase the risk for stroke?
- What causes headache and neck ache in a patient with head injury?
- Suggest treatment for sinus congestion that disturbs sleep due to...