What causes pinkish jelly like bowel discharge?

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Fri, 9 Jan 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the last week I have had a bowel discharge after the initial movement of jelly like substance somewhat pinkish.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need some details to guide you better

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. I can guide you better if you answer following questions:

1. Does it start after some particular food or drink?
2. Is there associated history of lower abdominal pain?
3. Is there history of alternate constipation and diarrhea? I mean for some days you have constipation and then diarrhea starts.
4. Does loose jelly like stool occurs in the morning or any time of the day?
5. Does urge to defecate increases after taking meal?
6. Did you take any medication for it?
7. does such symptoms appear in past as well? If yes then how did they relieve?
8. Is there history of incomplete emptying after you defecate?
9. Does blood appear in stool?
10. Any family history of chronic disease or cancer?

I will be looking forward for the answer to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 10 hours later
This happens anytime of day. No history of alternate diarrhea some constipation. I hve never been a scheduled bowel mover. Never had this symptom before. No history of incomplete bowel movement. Doe not appear any blood in stool. Cancer in kidney. Mother
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for writing back. I have gone through your answers. My provisional diagnosis in your case will be Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS). IBS is mostly caused by stress & anxiety or it could be idiopathic. There is absolutely no need to worry. Combine following general & medical advise and you will improve:

1. General:
> Stress is in everyone's life but if it overpowers you then it will start causing problem. So try to remain calm and stress free.

2. Dietary Advise:
> Take high fiber diet (peas, beans, broccoli, etc) including psyllium (ispaghul hask)
> Avoid:
* fatty food & caffeine products
* Spicy food.
* Fruits & salads for the time being.

3. Medical Advise:
> Loperamide 2 mg orally thrice a day

Conclusion:
IBS is a condition that occurs due to multiple causes, most common include stress, anxiety, drug or hormone induced. So it will automatically improve as soon as you take care of cause. If condition does not improve after taking this management then i would suggest you to visit a Gastroenterologist in your area. He will perform some tests like stool examination, sigmoidoscopy, etc to rule out any pathology.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T