How can constipation be treated despite taking Miralax and Milk of Magnesia?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been fighting this for a month but never get completely cleaned out. Up until the last couple of days I get a small movement but mostly get gas. When I phoned gastroenterology late last week, the nurse called back to say "just keep taking Miralax twice a day " which I have been doing., I have taken Milk of Magnesia a couple of times which delivered more results but it upsets my system and it hasn't seemed like a good idea to take it longer.,
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medication with life style modification and patience all are required.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Have seen your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Taking Miralax continuously is definitely not a good idea.Medicine should be a last resort treatment it should never be tried until all natural ways are ineffective(I personally think that to save time doctor just tell you to take laxatives;Rather abuse laxatives secondly lifestyle modification sounds easy yet is a bit tough and need dedication on part of patient).

What i would suggest you is to continue taking laxative with proper life style modification and natural supplements and as things start getting better taper off miralax and maintain yourself on life style changes.

Firstly a drastic change in life style is required to cure your problem. Not exercising enough, not drinking enough water and delaying a bowel movement can worsen symptoms.The most important factor in curing you is a natural and simple diet. This should consist of unrefined food such as whole grain cereals, XXXXXXX honey and lentils; green leafy vegetables, like spinach, beans, lettuce, celery, asparagus, carrot. Adding some fat to meals or increasing the size of a meal such as breakfast can help create the urge to defecate. you should increase the amount of plant foods they consume to get more fiber in their diet. s.
Secondly human gastrointestinal tract is colonized by 1013-14 bacteria of 400 different species and subspecies.They are responsible for proper digestion of food.A probiotic like VSL#3 should be taken twice daily.Take Fybogel husk-Fybogel sachets and Fybogel Hi-Fibre sachets both contain the active ingredient ispaghula husk, which is a type of medicine called a bulk-forming laxative. Ispaghula is a type of fibre. It swells when it comes into contact with fluid in the gut and thus increases the volume of the faeces.It increases the bulk in your stool, an effect that helps to cause movement of the intestines. It also works by increasing the amount of water in the stool, making the stool softer and easier to pass. Psyllium, one type of bulk-forming laxative.
Use castor oil-it produces a laxative effect when ingested
-Fruits and vegetables, which contain high amounts of fiber, aid in alleviating symptoms of constipation,Whole-grain bread, XXXXXXX oatmeal, beans and lentils can also relieve the problem so use it Instead of highly processed rice, eat brown rice, millet or bulgur.
-Eat 2 cups of fruit 3 cups of vegetables and about 35 grams of fiber per day
fruits: Generally all fruits, except banana and XXXXXXX fruit, are beneficial for you.

Don't stop miralax,Rather introduce these changes gradually in your life style and things would be much better in few weeks.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj