What causes pinched nerve spasms in the hip region?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 17 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: pain in hip area down outside of leg...seems like a pinched nerve?
Also traveled 34 hours from overseas by plane this week
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is possible that may be related to flight

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The nerves that are responsible for the lower limbs emerge from the lower aspect of the spine.

Nerve related pain tends to be intermittent with no factors that either cause it or cause it to decrease, it may be burning, stinging, tingling, sharp etc
In more severe injury , bowel or bladder function may be affected.

The long flight or extended travelling could have put pressure on the lower back, this should be temporary and resolve within a week if it is the only cause.

Other causes of abnormal function of the nerves are--(1)low vitamin b12 and folate
(2)diabetes
(3)thyroid disease
(4)liver or kidney disease
(5)side effect of medication
(6)abnormal vitamin b6 level
(7)nerve conditions such as ms or stroke
(8)infection such as shingles

Sometimes the cause is not found

Normally over the counter pain killers such as aleve or advil can be started initially but if these are not effective then your doctor can give you stronger medication. There are also meds that are used for nerve related pain.
Imaging may be needed if it does not resolves or worsens.

Rest would be an important aspect of treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later

Thank You

The pain is only when I stand. OK when sitting and laying down.

I also have heard of of blood clots associated with extended flights.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
usually associated with changes in the calf

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes, clots can occur with extended flights but this tends to cause calf symptoms usually
There would be pain, swelling,increased warmth and redness of calf.
The pain is usually also persistent.

clots at the hip can occur but they are rare. Would cause swelling and other symptoms of the entire lower limb since there is a blockage of blood flow of the entire limb

Please feel free to ask anything else