What causes persistent shoulder pain in an elderly person?

Posted on Sat, 19 Nov 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Question pertains to my mother illness. She is 88 yes old. On medicine-euglim-1(diabetic for the last 4 yes)telvas-AM ( bp fluctuated during night) benalgis and wonapride-R for acidity and irritation. My question is- suffering shoulder pain for last 4-5 yes. Pain radiated from collar bone to downward up to elbow during night. Now she starts complaining that occasionally pain suddenly startedfrom the neck below the right year and radiated to right side of brain in the small patch on the parietal lobe. Due tothis she is not able get full sleep. Advise test and remedies.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.

I think she may have a right upper limb neuropathy caused due to nerve compression in the cervical spine. At her age cervical spondylitis is expected causing the intervertebral disc narrowing. This causes pinching of the nerve that travels down the arm and elbow.

This pain may radiate to back of ear and some part of skull.

A possibility of some ear problems should also be kept in mind.

Brain related problems seem less likely.

She needs to undergo MRI cervical spine,Xray shoulder ( to rule out frozen shoulder ). A consultation with ENT specialist will rule out ear problems.

If the reports confirm nerve compression,she has to wear cervical collar.

Physiotherapy,cervical traction,infra red therapy,laser therapy,neck and shoulder exercises are the treatment options.

Analgesics,anti inflammatory tablets ,local gel application will help.

I hope your query has been answered.

If you have any doubts,you can consult me anytime.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Query answered

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the attached reports.

The urine reports appear to be normal and do not find much significant in it.

Please let me know what exactly you want to know about the attached doctor's prescription.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon