What causes persistent loose stools with mucus in stool?
Tests of stool and thyroid - course of an antibiotic, Metro, Probiotics
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: Female/70 - watery BMs with what looks like phlegm - not much solid - several days - leaks on cough or a sneeze - few OK polyps on colonoscopy 3 months ago - - noted the medicines -
- Send the samples of stool for tests for three days. This may be due to intestinal infection or intolerance and if found positive, a course of an antibiotic and Metronidazole along with probiotics may cure your problem.
- Review thyroid functions as excess of Levothyroxine can cause the problem; If the more dose is causing the problem, reduction in Levothyroxine will get the problem corrected.
- Montelukast is not known and you can always change over to cetirizine like antihistamine stopping Montelukast to see for a change as you have suspected so.
Let us think of the commonest causes first.
I hope, this may solve your problem.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes loose stools with blood in it
- Hcg cause loose stools
- What causes loose stools in the morning
- What causes bubbles in loose stool
- What causes mucus strands in stool
- What causes excess mucus in stool
- Mucus draining cause loose stools
- What causes loose stools
- Causes of loose bloody stools
- What causes loose yellow stool