Is surgery mandatory for minor cataracts in both the eyes?

Question
I'm a 57 year old female with minor cataracts in both eyes.
I was advised to wait till the cataracts mature for surgery.

I have short-sightedness (myopia). However, I now use low-level glasses for reading.

I have hypertension and take 50 mg of Angisar (Losartan Potassium) once a day.

I love reading and can still read without glasses during the day.

Please let me know if I should go for cataract surgery without waiting for it to mature?
Also, if reading with a magnifying sheet is better than glasses?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let your ophthalmologist decide

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. The timing on cataract removal is a very personal decision. I usually advise patients to wait until their vision is frustrating on a daily basis. Some patients are more tolerant of visual dysfunction than others, but the important message I try to convey is that for the most part, cataracts should be removed when they are producing visual frustration, and not necessarily because of an arbitrary external measuring point such as visual acuity or degree of opacity as measured by our examining microscopes.

As a cataract matures, it does become denser and incrementally more difficult to remove. This requires more energy and may lead to prolonged inflammation or even intraoperative complications. And there are times where a cataract can induce glaucoma or impair our view of the retina, and under those circumstances,
Nutshell, work it out with your ophthalmologists and let them decide what is best for you. Meanwhile keep good control of your hypertension and reading with magnifying sheet or glass , both are fine and depends on what you are comfortable with.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan

Follow-up: Is surgery mandatory for minor cataracts in both the eyes? 3 hours later
What foods are best for the eyes?

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Healthy balanced diet

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Ideally there is no food restriction to the eyes except glucose rich foods if you are diabetic as that can convert to sorbitol and re cause cataract. Apart from it, Green leafy vegetables like spinach, XXXXXXX and collards.Salmon, tuna, and other oily fish.Eggs, nuts, beans, and other non meat protein sources.Oranges and other citrus fruits or juices.Oysters and por and any other healthy balanced diet has its role to play.

I hope it helps.
Regards XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Is surgery mandatory for minor cataracts in both the eyes? 5 hours later
Should I continue to read without glasses or will it strain the eye?

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on how are you easy, with or with out glasses.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

If your refractive error is high enough to make reading difficult with out glasses then you should use glasses. If you can read with out glasses, then not using glasses wont strain. Its on ease of use and access. Do as you consider convenient.

I hope it helps.
Khan