question-icon

What causes passing clots prior to periods with terrible abdominal pain?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: I'm passing clots it's a week before I should be having a period but they are extremely painful so much so that I almost threw up from the pain while driving. Is there anything I can do or can I go see my gynocologist to have them scraped out so I won't have to deal with the pain of passing the clots?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Best to see your GYN and have a curettage.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Have you ever had such an issue in the past ?
WHen was your last period ?
This could be an abnormally heavy period or an early miscarriage.
If you can go to a gynecologist, that would be best.
You should have an internal exam and a pelvic sonogram to know the reason - just a heavy period due to hormonal imbalance, a fibroid /polyp or a miscarriage.
In any case, you can definitely have a D and C - dilatation and curettage - that will be diagnostic ( pick up the problem when the tissue is sent to the lab for analysis ) and therapeautic ( will relieve you from the pain and clots ).
Since how many days are you passing the clots ?
Also, if you cannot see a doctor, try taking a combination of Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid ( Tranexa - MF ) thrice a day, and a hot water bottle to bed.
That should help a bit.
It is best to see a gynec and have the curettage.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham (10 minutes later)
Ive been having the clots for about five days now. Ive had them before but these are larger than normal the last one i passed was an inch in diameter. My dr cannot see me until the 21 of this month would a regular family physician be avble to do the same?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Physician wont be able to do it.

Detailed Answer:
I dont think the physician would be able to do a D and C.
You need to get an ultrasound scan done, and take the medication I advised.
Try and see your OB - GYN earlier please.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN