What causes palpitations with dizziness and headaches?

Endocrinologist
Question
Since last Decembe I have palpitations every single day; I am tired; I get dizzy, headaches. All the tests are normal (THS, electrolytes, blood count; urine 24 hours normal.... THS normal about 2.6 1.6 monts ago; My problem is that all my tests are normal but I do not feel good at all; like I said: palpitations, sometimes very bad (which I never had before); a choking sensation in my neck (from my thyroid.... not all the time, but I guess when the hormones are out of balance); dizzy, headaches, ringing in my ears; retain water very easily; I an't eat salt..... I eat some but not a lot...I do not add any salt to my food.... and I eat mostly veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds; a little Greek yogurt, an occasional organic egg and una/salmon.
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endocrine

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

There is a condition called pheochromocytoma. It is very uncommon. But its symptoms are often episodes of palpitations and sweating, with headache and chest pain or shortness of breath. It is associated with high blood pressure which may also drop every now and then.

Not everyone with pheochromocytoma will have all classic symptoms.

A simple blood test called plasma free metanephrines is a good screening test. It does not require fasting and can be done at any time of the day.

If this test is positive then the next step is to perform confirmatory testing that includes a 24 hour urine collection for fractionated catecholamines and metanephrines.

I understand your thyroid and other tests are all fine. Monitor the TSH and free T4 over time to make sure you are getting optimal amount of levothyroxine.