What causes palpitations in the abdomen while lying down?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: HI I have a pulpitating on my stomach I went to the ER they did ultra sound and they told me that my aorta is fine , and that I should not worry about it . What can I do to stop this from occurring , I only notice it when I am lying down , also I feel full in my stomach after eating . My stomach makes a bubblie growling sound that I don't know of . I did the hpilory test and it was negative but I had it in the past . Please help.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/44 - Palpitation on stomach - only on lying down - Er - Ultrasound shows normal aorta - wants to know what to do to stop this - fells full on eating - stomach makes bubbly growling sound - H pylori negative - on pantoprazole and Phazine

My thoughts:
You are getting transmitted pulsation from normal aorta.
Feelling full after food and bubbly growling sounds can come due to entrapped air in the stomach which can be due to aerophagia meaning inadvertent swallowing of air.

I would advise you the following:
- First of all, to avoid the palpitations, you have to start lying down on sides so that the stomach is separated.
- You also need to have a CT scan of the abdomen particularly in reference to your symptoms so that they can find if there is something like a Pseudocyst of pancreas, mass in the stomach or such a condition that transmits the pulsations of aorta in lying down position.
- Anxiety can also cause such palpitation as well as the aerophagia causing the bubbly growing sound, hence you have to be free of anxiety and/or stress.
- Upper GI Endoscopy to see for the condition of stomach and any ulcer, scarification particularly of the duodenal cap, mas and so on.

All these things together will help you get a proper diagnosis by confirmation or by ruling out certain diseases.

I hope this answer helps you in getting the correct diagnosis and get a plan of management. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
HI Doctor T,
I did had the CT scan of my stomach and it was concluded that it was normal, I am schedule to take a GI Endoscopy in 3 weeks , but in the mean while should I be worried that there is something more serious is occurring within me ? when this issue started I was not eating little or no food , I lost 5lbs within 2weeks , but since I been taking the med I have some improvement , I begin to eat and gain back the weight , but I still feel full and the palpitating is still occurring , is this a lifetime thing ? can this be some other stomach or bacteria infection my primary care is missing . I did a cbc and it was normal except for igg 1 my Dr told me that I have the antibodies which I might have come in contact with someone in the past that had the virus , but she told me that my result was negative for herpes 1&2 , please help me to understand what is really going on with me , I am confuse coz I don't know what I am fighting against.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety, Thyroid functions - awaiting the upper GI reports.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your detailed feedback.
If the CT scan is reported is normal, I am assured about no lesion that can physically cause this.
Hence the onus is more on the anxiety part. Please get evaluated and treated for this.
Also get Free T3, Free T4, TSH done.
Let us wait for the Upper GI Endoscopy report as it will enlighten more on the stomach part of symptoms.
Please give feedback once all the tests are done so that we can interact better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 15 hours later
What us Free T3, Free T4, TSH please explain so u can request it to get done.
Brief Answer:
Thyroid function tests

Detailed Answer:
These are blood tests of thyroid function.
Please send the morning sample when on empty stomach.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 18 hours later
Thank you for the information , I will update you when I get tested and received my result .

Thanks, DR T
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Awaiting for your reports and feedback.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 39 hours later
Hi Dr.T just want a second opinion in regards to the medication I am taking for GERD . I was prescribe Pantoprazole sod 40mg . When my doctor evaluate me from my explanation of stiffness , bloating ,burping gurgling sound my stomach she prescribe pantoprazole. after taking it for one month there weren't too much significant improvement . she told me to take it for an additional two months , should I continue taking this medication for that long period of time or consult someone else ?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Second opinion of a another Gastroenterologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Since you have taken Pantoprazole 40 for about a month without significant improvement, you still have to continue it till you get another opinion- second opinion of a Gastroenterologist and have upper GI Endoscopy to know the exact position of esophagus, stomach and first part of duodenum.
There is a possibility that he/she may ask for further evaluation by additional investigations like Ultrasonography, X-ray of the abdomen in standing position, tests of blood, urine and stool.
I think you may need additional treatment with a Prokinetic like Domperidone, antacid, small frequent meals of soft bland diet.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 23 hours later
I have seen a Gastroenterologist who told me to stop taking pantoprazole . I am schedule to have the Endoscopy done on 8/9/16 . when I went for a follow-up with my PCP she told me to continue taking the MED because some patient take as long as 6mth to overcome GERD . I have done the Ultrasonography of the abdomen ( stomach )laying down and they told me that it was normal .
Brief Answer:
as explained in details.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
My thoughts.
The reason for stopping Pantoprazole would be:
The Gastroenterologist wants to know the best possible diagnosis for which he has asked you to stop a PPI- Pantoprazole.
Even a single dose of a PPI can change the picture and you have taken it for a month.
So let you stop Pantoprazole as advised and let us see the reports of Endoscopy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad