What causes painful lesion around genital area?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I want to confirm with a second opinion what could cause this painful bump?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly ealborate and send latest picture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the painful bump.

In view to help you better I request you to kindly elaborate certain important points:

- Since how long you have this bump. Has it appeared suddenly in few days or gradually in more than week.

- What is the intensity of pain- mild/moderate/severe.

- Other than pain have you experienced any discharge from the bump.

- you can share any important information relevant to the bump.

I also request you to send the latest picture of the bump.

Hope to hear soon form your side.

Wish you good health,

with regards,

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 34 minutes later
Moderate pain. It was small a few days now the size you see in the picture.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis or boil turned into cyst.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for sending details.

After analyzing the complete situation let the condition appears to be simple folliculitis or boil turned into cyst.

To tell you simply:It is an inflammation or infection of the hair root with oil gland at the genital area. As we know that our genital area have lot of coarse hair and this area is always been closed, so there is always a chance of infection of hair root at this area.

It can further be aggravated by heat and humidity with sweating over this area. It generally have a feeling of discomfort and then cause mild to moderate pain later. It generally begins as reddish area and then can enlarge later on to form a cyst kind of lesion.

For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below:

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

For the improvement and stop the further recurrence of the problem you can wear some kind panties where the edges are not coming directly over it and there fore the factor of friction can be omitted.

For the betterment -the most important thing is “NO TOUCHING, PINCHING, POPPING OR SQUEEZING” the area by any means. I have written above instruction in bold letters so that you should not touch it for unnecessary examination.

In my patients I suggest them to apply topical “Mupirocin” cream in a very thin layer two times a day or preferably night time.

An additional pain killer tablet helps in reducing pain and inflammation thus the size also.

The problem will be alright in next couple of day. If at all you feel any severe pain or if the size is increasing or if there is any deep redness in the area then you may need medical attention where a simple course of antibiotics by mouth along with pain killers will resolve the problem.

I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to help you any further.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)