• question-icon

What causes painful intercourse after a hysterectomy and sling bladder surgery?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: My wife had a combination procedure hysterectomy and bladder harness using mesh.

The hysterectomy was performed laparoscopically, leaving the ovaries and cervix behind. The Cervix was used as the end of the Vaginal wall.
The bladder procedure was done thru the vaginal opening.

I cannot enter her any more. I can get a small toy or one finger past the opening. Anything more and it causes her pain.

Even when I get one finger in, if I try to touch the top of the vaginal wall (nearest to the bladder) the pain is 10 on the 1 -10 scale. The vaginal wall surface is rough to the touch vs. being smooth as before the surgery.

During all attempts of entering her, more than enough lubricant was used. Can anything be done about this?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fibrosis and shortening due to surgery, reversal almost impossible

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
The symptoms you have described are suggestive of the vaginal shortening and fibrosis.
This is a complication of the vaginal surgery and cannot be revereted back, as the anatomical structure is short and nothing can be done to elongate it.
At maximum, a gynecological surgeon can be consulted for any vaginoplasty, if possible.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine