• question-icon

What causes pain under ribs in right side and upper abdomen?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi I have been having pain in my right side just under the ribs. It started in my back at the base of the ribs and rotated around so that the whole are feels sore. I had a Kidney Ultrasound, all Clear. It then seemed like something was sticking me at the top of the rib cage just below the sternum. Reminded me of my gallbladder attacks. Had my gallbladder out 15 yrs ago. The pain is dull and tends to be more prevalent at 2 in the morning when I have been waking with this pain. It also seems to cut across the top of my stomach below the sternum. It has been on and off for 6 weeks. Some days no pains, other days its there. I had a full abdomen CT and a abdomen Ultrasound., Nothing abnormal. Had a full blood panel test - all normal. I also have had this weird pain in my left back that feels like a pulling burning feeling just under the shoulder blade. Not sure what to do next. Do I go to an Internist, a Gastro guy, any ideas. How do we rule out cancer,

So the CT did show a fatty liver.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stomach issues should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
I read carefully all your concerns and understood your query.

you are reporting to have pain under ribs in right side and and across to the top of the stomach.
Since you have ruled out gallbladder issues than I suggest to rule out stomach issues like ;
- ulcer, gastritis or GERD( acid reflux)
You are reporting that this pain is being more relevant in 2 of the morning. This finding makes me thinking about stomach issues.
This is why at your case I recommend to do upper endoscopy and breath test for helicobacter pylori.
Meantime I suggest to :
- use antacids like gaviscon
- use PPI otc like Prilosec
- avoid fatty and spicy foods
- eat often and small amount of meal
- avoid alcohol and smoking
- increase physical activity
- use two pillows when you lay down
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
I already take Prilosec. Once again up at 2 am, This time the weirdness of it is that is also under the left rib now. The pain is really more of just being there than painful . Could this be a parasite. Should I go on a course of 500 mg Cipro twice a day with 500 mg of Flagyl twice a day and just try knock out whatever is there.

What is the weird sensation in my back coming from?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
Your symptoms are not typical for parasite infection.
With regards to antibiotic use firstly I recommend to do upper endoscopy and H.pylori breath test.
If H.Pylori is positive than you will use antibiotics like flagyl and claritromicine.
Prilosec may be not enough to stabilise your situation if you have a gastritis or stomach ulcer from H.Pylori infection.
Otherwise to definitely rule out/confirm parasites infection you can perform stool test for ova parasites.
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist