What causes pain in the ribs?
MRI to be done to rule out nerve damage.
Thanks for query.
Xray can only show damage done to bones or any structure having calcium in it however as your husband is unable to defecate since last 5 days its suggested that a MRI scan of Brain and Spinal cord should be done to rule out any nerve injury.Signal of defecation are controlled by brain and spinal cord and there are possibilities of damage to some of these nerves after fall leading to moderate to severe paralysis of intestines.Hence as there are no signals from level of brain or spine he can't pass stools.
Proper investigations should be done.
Can you please mention the name and doses of muscle relaxant given to him.If he is walking fine then chance sof major injury are less..Easy way out is give him some lactulose.Its a laxative.If intestines are fine and he is just constipated or intestines are under the effect of muscle relaxant lactulose would cause motions.
Alternatively stop relaxant and see if he passes a bowel in next 24 hours.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain below the ribs
- What can cause pain in lower side of ribs
- What causes pain under the right rib cage
- What causes rib pain and soreness
- Rib pain while shivering with cold what is the cause
- What could be the cause of continuous rib pain
- What causes pain in the left rib while coughing
- Feeling pain in ribs what is the cause and cure
- What causes pain on left side under ribs
- What causes barping and pain below the ribs and fever
- Suggest treatment for abdominal hernia
- What does my biopsy report indicate?
- How can chronic constipation be treated?
- Suggest treatment for gastritis and acid reflux
- What causes severe abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for internal hemorrhoids
- What causes blood in stools while having diverticulitis?
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Suggest treatment for GERD
- Suggest treatment for IBS